Student FAQ

General Information

What is Student Transportation?

The Student Transportation program was developed after Western students approved an Alternative Transportation Fee in April 2007. The program is responsible for representing and coordinating student transportation needs, and provides services including the Student Bus Pass, the WWU Student Shuttle and trip planning assistance.

How much is the fee?

The Alternative Transportation Fee is $27.50 per quarter, and is placed automatically with other university fees, for students taking six or more credits. The fee cannot increase by more than 5% each year without a student vote, and is re-approved by a vote of the students every 5 years.

Can I opt-out of the fee?

No. The fee is mandatory for students taking six or more credits. It is similar in nature to the Rec Center Fee, Student Technology Fee and Sustainable Action Fee.

If the fee was not mandatory with registration, but requested as an optional fee, it can be refunded within 1 week of the beginning of class, or 1 week of being requested, whichever is later.

Student Bus Pass

The Western ID card works as a student bus pass.

Who can have a student bus pass?

  • Students who have registered for at least one credit
  • Graduate Students (regardless of registration)
  • Summer student employees, employed by a WWU department for summer quarter.

How does it work?

Your ID begins working as a bus pass when you are registered for classes and have a Transportation Fee on your student account for the quarter.

If you do NOT have a Transportation Fee on your account, your bus pass will be Inactive.

What if my ID isn't working as a bus pass?

If your ID card does not work on the bus, and you think it should, email (include your Western ID number) or go to the Western Card Office for assistance.

Where can I replace my ID Card?

The Western Card Office can replace your ID. There is an $8 charge for a new Western Card.  The bus pass will continue working on your new ID.

Where can I travel with my bus pass?

Your student bus pass is good on all WTA buses including the 80X to Mt Vernon.

Major destinations in the area include historic Fairhaven, Downtown Bellingham, Lakewood, Bellis Fair Mall area, Sunset Square, Lakeway Center, Lake Padden, Whatcom Falls Park, Lynden, Blaine, Ferndale and Mt Vernon.

Using other public transportation to get from Mount Vernon to Everett, Seattle, or Tacoma costs only a few dollars. Click here for more information.

Late Night Shuttle

What is the Late Night Shuttle?

The Late Night Shuttle is a late night transportation service for Western students only, funded by the Alternative Transportation Fee.

Board the bus at any WTA bus stop on the shuttle route by showing the driver your Western ID Card, its required.

The shuttle serves the WWU campus, Happy Valley, Bill McDonald Parkway and Sehome Village, Lincoln Street and Fred Meyer/Lakeway, and downtown Bellingham

When does it operate?

11pm - 3am Monday - Saturday 

9pm - 2am Sunday

Shuttle service begins the Sunday before classes begin for Fall Quarter and operates throughout Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters.

The shuttle does not operate during Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring breaks or Summer quarter.

Can my friends who are not Western students ride the Late Night Shuttle with me?

One guest is allowed per student showing a valid Western ID. Students are responsible for the conduct of their guest. 

Does the shuttle operate during the summer?

No. The Student Shuttle does not operate during Summer Quarter.

Where can I get information about ridesharing?

There are a variety of public rideshare websites. Find more information here.

I have never ridden the bus - how do I do that?

Click here for detailed tips about riding the bus.

Call, email or visit our office. We can assist you with trip-planning and answer any transportation questions you may have.