Student Bus Pass
The Alternative Transportation Fee has been waived for spring quarter. To learn more about how this changes the student bus pass program check out this information page.
At Western, 85% of students use the local WTA bus system for transportation.
How does the Student Bus Pass work?
- The Western ID card works as a Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) bus pass and provides unlimited rides on all WTA bus routes.
- To ride, swipe the ID card through the fare box when boarding the bus.
- The bus pass is paid for by the Alternative Transportation Fee and works any quarter the fee is on the student's Western account, including intersessions.
- For most full-time students, the bus pass works seamlessly from quarter to quarter.
Who is eligible for a Bus Pass?
- Undergraduate students registered for at least 1 credit.
- Graduate Students (class registration not required)
- Summer Quarter student employees, employed by WWU departments.
How does class registration affect the Bus Pass?
Students taking 6 or more credits have a mandatory Transportation Fee placed on their student account with registration, along with other university fees and tuition.
Credits from the Outreach and Continuing Education program, Online courses, Independent Study and Study Abroad are not used to assess university fees. Students who are registered for these credits may have more than 6 credits overall, but may not have been charged the university fees (including the Transportation Fee)
University fees placed automatically with registration for any quarter are also removed automatically if a student drops below 6 credits.
What if the Transportation Fee isn't placed on my account with registration?
If you are eligible for a bus pass, email firstname.lastname@example.org at the beginning of the quarter to request the fee (please include your Western ID number), we can place the fee manually.
The Western Card Office can also provide over-the-counter assistance to students who wish to add the Transportation Fee to their account.
What if the ID card (bus pass) isn't working in the fare box on the bus?
What if a student doesn't register for classes for a quarter?
The WTA bus pass is available online at www.ridewta.com or at the downtown Bellingham station on Railroad Ave. 360-676-7433
For WTA maps, schedules and other transit information including how to get to Major Destinations www.ridewta.com
For trip planning assistance or questions contact Student Transportation 360-650-7960 or email@example.com