Alternative Transportation Fee
Due to disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Alternative Transportation Fee was waived for spring, summer, and fall quarters 2020. For winter, spring and summer quarters 2021 a $3 Alternative Transportation Fee was charged to students taking six or more credits. Students who have less than six credits or are employed on campus can opt-in to the fee here.
The Alternative Transportation Fee was implemented in 2007 after a favorable vote of the student body and approval by the A.S. Board and the WWU Board of Trustees. The purpose of the Fee is to support a transportation program for the benefit of students.
The Alternative Transportation Fee is voted on by the student body at least every 5 years. The next student vote will take place by April 2022.
The $28.50 Fee provides students with the following benefits:
Where does the money go?
- 75% WTA Payments
- 15% Late Night Shuttle
- 10% Other
Note: "Other" expenses include salaries and administrative costs.
Program funds are overseen by the Alternative Transportation Fee Committee which is comprised of a majority of students (AS Officers, AS Alternative Transportation Coordinator, students-at-large) and WWU administrative staff.
Who is assessed the fee?
WWU students taking six or more credits are assessed a mandatory Alternative Transportation Fee. The fee is applied quarterly with other university fees and tuition. Students taking 1-5 credits, graduate students, and students who are employeed on campus during the summer may opt-in to the fee and get a bus pass.
Fees placed automatically with registration are not refundable. A transportation fee placed manually by the Transportation or Western Card office is refundable if requested within 1 week of the first day of class, or 1 week of the original request, whichever is later.
The Alternative Transportation Fee wording as most recently approved by vote of the students, April 2017:
Shall all Western Washington University students taking six or more credits on the Bellingham Campus be assessed an Alternative Transportation Fee of up to $26.25 per quarter with the following conditions:
- A Whatcom Transportation Authority bus pass for every fee paying student.
- A late night student transportation service that would run after WTA service ends. At a minimum this would serve the general campus area.
- If late night service is not offered during summer quarter, students taking summer quarter classes will be charged a reduced fee (currently $21).
- Fee increases will be limited to a maximum of 5% per year, upon authorization by the Associated Students Board of Directors, increases of more than 5% must be approved by the students through a vote.
- The Fee will be for a maximum 5-year term, beginning in Fall 2017 and end by Fall 2022, subject to a student vote for renewal.
NOTE: The Alternative Transportation Fee was increased 5% for Fall 2019 with approval of the AS Board, and is $27.50 for academic quarters and $22 for summer quarter. The fee was increased 3.6% for Fall 2020 with approval of the AS Board and is now $28.50 for academic quarters and $23 for summer quarter.