Regional Transportation Options
Request a Trip Plan
From Interstate 5, take Exit #252 (Samish Way and WWU). Turn west onto Samish Way and follow the signs for Bill McDonald Parkway and the University Campus.
FlixBus offers intercity bus connections to Vancouver BC, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland, Eugene, and more. Catch the FlixBus from the Lincoln Creek Parking Lot.
Amtrak Cascades Train
Amtrak Cascades provides daily service between Bellingham, Vancouver BC and points south to Eugene. The Amtrak Station is located at the Fairhaven Transportation Center, 401 Harris Avenue, about 2 miles from campus.
Catch a Greyhound bus to travel down the I-5 corridor and to eastern Washington. The Greyhound bus station is located at the Fairhaven Transportation Center, 401 Harris Avenue, Bellingham, about 2 miles from campus.
Transportation between the Amtrak/Greyhound stations and WWU campus
- Taxi, Uber, or Lyft - 7 days a week
- WTA bus service - 7 days a week
- Route 1 - Travels daily from the Downtown WTA Bus Station to the Fairhaven Transportation Center. During the day buses travel between campus and the Downtown Station every 15 minutes.
- Route 14 - Evenings and Sunday via campus
- Route 105 - Evenings and Sundays via campus
- During the day routes 14 and 105 stop in Fairhaven at 14th and Fairhaven Parkway. From there it is a pleasant 15 minute walk to the Fairhaven Transportation Center
Express public transit buses are an efficient and inexpensive way to travel on the I-5 corridor. Check out these trip plans for details.
The County Connector is a series of buses that are timed for travel between counties and transit agencies. These include:
- 80x - WTA (Bellingham - Mt Vernon)
- 90X - Skagit Transit (Mt Vernon - Everett)
- 40X - Skagit Transit (Mt Vernon - Anacortes)
- 411W NB & 411W SB - Island Transit(Mt Vernon - Whidbey Island)
- 411C- Island Transit (Mt Vernon - Camano Island)
- 412 - Island Transit (Camano Island - Everett)
Bellingham International Airport
Bellingham Airport is 7.5 miles from Western's campus.
WTA Route 3 travels from the Downtown Bellingham Station or the Cordata Station to the Airport.
If your flight is on a Sunday, very early in the morning, or late at night, we recommend reserving a ride to the airport in a taxi in advance.
Seattle Tacoma International Airport
Sea-Tac Airport can be reached from Bellingham using a variety of transit options:
Airporter Shuttle provides direct service between Bellingham and Sea-Tac airport.
The Port of Seattle operates Sea-Tac Airport. Information regarding the airport can be found on their website, www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac.
Bellair Charters / Airporter
The Bellair Airporter Shuttle provides service multiple times daily between Bellingham and SeaTac airport, plus many other destinations including eastern Washington.
The Airporter Shuttle can be boarded any day at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel, 714 Lakeway Drive (next to Fred Meyer), with convenient connections to WWU via WTA bus, and Taxi/Uber/Lyft.
Please note that due to the coronavirus pandemic the Airporter Shuttle is not stopping on campus. Typically, the Airporter picks up on the WWU Campus at the Performing Arts Center on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays with extended service on holidays and breaks.
Washington State Ferries
Ferries provide service to/from multiple points around the Puget Sound, San Juan Islands, and Vancouver Island.