Regional Transportation Options
From Interstate 5, take Exit #252 (Samish Way and WWU). Turn west onto Samish Way and follow the signs for Bill McDonald Parkway and the University Campus.
Amtrak Cascades Train
The Amtrak Station is located at the Fairhaven Transportation Center, 401 Harris Avenue, about 2 miles from campus. Amtrak Cascades provides daily service between Bellingham, Vancouver BC and points south to Eugene, Oregon.
Amtrak tickets are available online or at the station.
The Greyhound bus station is located at the Fairhaven Transportation Center, 401 Harris Avenue, Bellingham, about 2 miles from campus.
Transportation between the Amtrak/Greyhound station and WWU campus
- Taxi, Uber or Lyft - 7 days a week
- WTA bus service - 7 days a week
- Route 14 - Evenings and Sunday via campus, 21st and Harris
- Route 105 - Evenings and Sundays via campus, 21st and Harris
- During the day routes 14 and 105 stop in Fairhaven at 14th and Fairhaven Parkway. From there it is a 15 minute walk to the Greyhound and Amtrak Station
- Route 1 - Travels daily from the Downtown WTA Station to the Greyhound and Amtrak Station. During the day buses travel between campus and the Downtown Station every 15 minutes.
Express public transit buses are an efficient and inexpensive way to travel on the I-5 corridor. Check out these trip plans for details.
The County Connector is a series of buses that are timed for travel between counties and transit agencies. These include:
- 80x - WTA (Bellingham - Mt Vernon)
- 90X - Skagit Transit (Mt Vernon - Everett)
- 40X - Skagit Transit (Mt Vernon - Anacortes)
- 411W - Island Transit (Mt Vernon - Whidbey Island)
- 411C- Island Transit (Mt Vernon - Camano Island)
- 412 - Island Transit (Camano Island - Everett)
Bellingham International Airport
Bellingham Airport is 7.5 miles from Western's campus.
WTA Route 3 travels from the Downtown Bellingham Station or the Cordata Station to the Airport.
If your flight is very early in the morning or late at night, we recommend reserving a ride to the airport in a taxi in advance.
Seattle Tacoma International Airport
Sea-Tac Airport can be reached from Bellingham using a variety of transit options:
Airporter Shuttle provides direct service.
The Port of Seattle operates Sea-Tac Airport. Information regarding the airport can be found on their website, www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac.
Bellair Charters /Airporter
The Bellair Airporter Shuttle provides service multiple times daily between Bellingham and SeaTac airport, plus many other destinations.
The Airporter Shuttle can be boarded any day at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel, 714 Lakeway Drive (next to Fred Meyer), with convenient connections to WWU via WTA bus, and Taxi/Uber/Lyft.
Please note that due to the coronavirus pandemic the Airporter Shuttle is not stopping on campus. Airporter picks up on the WWU Campus! at the Performing Arts Center, Friday/Saturday/Sunday with extended service on holidays and breaks.
Washington State Ferries
Ferries provide service to/from multiple points around the Puget Sound, San Juan Islands, and Vancouver Island.