General Appeal Guidelines
The parking citation appeal process is available when the vehicle driver believes that a citation was issued incorrectly. Before appealing a citation, it is important for the appellant to understand the purpose of a parking citation appeal, including what constitutes a valid appeal, and what constitutes an invalid appeal.
A fully valid parking citation appeal will demonstrate that the vehicle was not in violation of the cited parking regulation, or that an error was made, either by Transportation Office staff, or by the parking enforcement officer. Below are a few examples of appeals that are considered valid:
- A permit was purchased for a vehicle, but the license plate on the permit was entered incorrectly.
- A permit was purchased for a vehicle at the same time as the citation was being issued by the officer.
- The license plate on the citation was entered incorrectly by the parking officer.
Appealing a citation without adequately contesting the validity of the cited regulation will result in the denial of the appeal. Below are some common appeals that are invalid:
- A citation was issued because the vehicle driver forgot to purchase a permit.
- A citation was issued because the vehicle driver did not read the signage at the entrance of the parking lot.
- A permit was not purchased for a vehicle because the driver only expected to be parked for a short period of time.
- A vehicle was parked in a state disability parking space without a state disability parking placard the driver only needed to drop something off at a nearby building.
Steps to Appealing a Citation
- Enter the WWU Parking Portal.
- Log in using your universal or guest login. If you do not have an account, click “SIGNUP” on the top right of the screen and follow the on-screen instructions to create your guest account.
- Enter your citation number. This will bring up the citation information and will provide you with the option to appeal or pay your citation.
- Select “Appeal” to begin the appeal process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and select “NEXT”.
- On the “Appeal Details” page select your contact email from the drop down menu. If the email you want to use is not present, click the “Add” button to go to your Account Information.
- On the Account Information page click “ADD NEW +” under email addresses and enter the email address you want to use for appeal correspondence.
- After confirming your email address, click the “Return” button at the bottom of the screen to return to your appeal.
- Once back on the “Appeal Details” screen, select the desired email and continue with the form, filling in your Appeal Reason and attaching any desired attachments.
- Hit the “Submit” button to finish your request and receive your confirmation receipt.
Appeals Board Information
Requirements for requesting an Appeals Board hearing:
- Hearing may only be requested “after” your 1st appeal has been reviewed by Parking.
- Citation must be paid and appealed to the Board within 14 days from the date on your original “Notification of Appeal Decision” letter.
With these conditions met, the steps for requesting an Appeals Board referral are as follows:
- Enter the WWU Parking Portal-Appeals
- Login using your universal login information or guest login information.
- Click on the “Citations” button at the top of the screen
- Locate the citation you want to appeal, hit the “appeal” button and follow the onscreen instructions.
More Appeals Board Information
Appeals will be reviewed by the Board as submitted. After the Board has reviewed your appeal, an email is sent with the Board's decision.
The Parking Appeals Board is composed of a eight member board: one administrator, one faculty, three staff and three students. All members are appointed by each specific groups council. Parking staff are not eligible to vote on Board decisions.